Wednesday, August 17, 2005

This week's random celebrity sighting:

So last Sunday, Becky and I were taking refuge from a torrential downpour in a random cafe on 5th Ave, I was doing a crossword, Becky was reading her book, yadda yadda yadda, when I looked up and saw some guy eyeballing a slice of coconut creme pie. Suddenly, I recognized his face from several movies, but I couldn't for the life of me remember a single one. I pointed him out to Becky, and she had no idea who he was. Of course, as we were only 3 feet away from him, he saw me staring, and he gave me a look of "Can I help you?" So I, in the least cool way possible, asked him "Aren't you an actor?" He said that he was, and when I asked him his name, he simply responded that it's Matthew. That didn't ring any bells, so I tried to make conversation with some lame comment about the weather, like, "It sure is coming down out there, huh?" or something geeky like that and he went upstairs to enjoy his coffee and wait out the storm.

Well, after a few minutes, my curiosity got the best of me and I went to go sit upstairs and find out at least his last name so I wouldn't be spending the rest of the night trying to find him online. Before I'd taken 2 steps, however, there he was, buying that piece of pie he'd been checking out earlier. At this point, he joined Becky and me at our table and spent the next hour or so chatting it up with us.

I'm sure he felt REALLY cool, as neither Becky nor I could remember him in a single one of his films, despite the fact that he's been in over 50, including Full Metal Jacket, Cutthroat Island, and others. Had he not kept talking about his wife and 2 kids (who are about 20 themselves), I would've sworn that he was going to ask one or both of us out on a date, judging by the blatant up-and-down stares he kept giving the two of us. As it turned out, though, he turned out to be a nice guy and once the rain stopped we went our separate ways.

I thought that was a pretty random celebrity sighting, but it was still pretty cool. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would've never remembered his name either. But atleast you got a good chat out of a movie star, sort of. Hope the weather's better. You sound great, and the pic is still hott! DAMN!!

Lata baby!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home